Join us for a taste of political science, as we chat with two local scientists about their research!
Adam Friedman, Voter Choice Massachusetts
Ranked Choice Voting: What it is, where it is used, and how it is won
Last November, Maine became the first state in US history to pass a voting system that could transform politics in America. It's called Ranked Choice Voting, and a statewide organization in Massachusetts wants to bring it here. Adam Friedman, Executive Director of Voter Choice Massachusetts, will explain ranked-choice voting to us, how it works, where it is used, and how to craft a political strategy to institute in our state. RCV is a democracy upgrade which allows voters to rank the candidates on the ballot in the order you prefer them, instead of choosing just one. This means your vote never gets thrown away, and you won't help to elect a candidate you strongly dislike. RCV incentivizes positive campaigns and encourages more candidates to run for office.
Voter Choice MA is a non-partisan, all-volunteer organization. Their work is endorsed by the League of Women Voters MA, Common Cause MA, MassVOTE, FairVote, and many other public interest groups nationwide.
Chris Robichaud, Harvard Kennedy School
The Health of Our Democracy in the Post-Truth Age
We are currently living in some politically turbulent times. How does misinformation, political propaganda, the use of "alternative facts", and distrust of the media threaten the health of our democracy? This talk will outline some areas of particular concern and provide a framework for thinking about moving forward in improving the functioning of our government.
- This event is 21+ only
- Doors open at 6:00pm, and our event kicks off at 6:30pm
- An RSVP via our site for this event does not guarantee entry! Entry will be first come first served until the space is full.
- Taste of Science pint glasses will be given away at the door on a first come first served basis while supplies last!
- In the event of any last-minute event cancellations, we will post an announcement on our TOS Boston webpage, Facebook, and Twitter
- If you are interested in volunteering for any of our events, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org